May 08, 2008

choices that we make

all the choices that i made over the years are catching up with me. i just turned 39 with no kids & no boyfriend. or rather, no guy that i want to have kids with, though more than one would probably have a kid with me. i have money to be a single mom, but little incentive to do so on my own.

what's annoying me most is losing the lack of choice in the matter. not the fact that i don't have kids now. i was never particularly excited about having kids. it was just an assumption i made. but i have never made decisions based on my desire for kids.

it's interesting that my ex boyfriend, who left me b/c i was upfront about having kids sooner rather than later, is now engaged to a woman my age. in a classic case of turn about is fair play, i have heard through the grapevine that they are having the kids discussion. so he's back in the hotseat again. i wonder if he'll bail on her too? for her sake, i hope not. but since i think she doesn't deserve him, i'm not sure how bad i'm hoping not.

so here i am, crying in the dressing room of some store during lunch break, frustrated at my choices.

ah the wisdom in aging. maybe really all it is - is recognition of where you screwed up, or didn't, and why you made your choices. or the acceptance of them. i am unable to do either right now. therefore feeling very unwise. but definitely aged.

1 comment:

myself said...

You and I are the same age, welcome to feeling like maybe you made a few mistakes down the line!

I just went through the same thing in March. It was rough, because I realized I've been pretty much single for 7 years, almost 40 and still single. I have alot going for me, but my job doesn't keep me company or warm at night. It's not my date when I need one, or when all my friends are in relationships (welcome to what's going on right now!)

Only thing is, I do believe things happen when they should and when we're ready for them...

Enjoy your singledom. Don't know if you remember what it was like being in a relationship (it's pretty vague for me), when decisions were not all your own, you couldn't do whatever the hell you pleased when you wanted to because you had to take someone else into consideration.

Be thankful for this time, because it will soon end I'm sure of it, and you will be in "relationship bliss" once again.

I don't want kids. At our age, I'm finding *that* to be harder for men to accept then a woman that wants them sooner than never (cuz at almost 40 later isn't an option).

There's alot more guys out there for you then there are for me...cuz my uterus is officially closed for procreation.

But I feel for you, really I do, it's been probably the hardest birthday since my separation...just feels odd.