October 31, 2007

how much is that divorce in the window?

someone said this on a message board...


:I'm starting to see A LOT of my friends go through divorced right now and they confide to me that they never should have gotten married in the first place, or their partner told them that they always had doubts about getting married to them:

here was my reply:

this statement you made is amazing. i find it so interesting, sociologically speaking, that we're all dying to get into legal agreements (marriage) that have a 50% chance of failing. speaking as someone who has retirement savings to lose (these aren't covered under pre-nups), and who is counting on that as security to protect from a guy leaving me alone with kids (like my dad left my mom), i wonder why i feel like i'm a failure not to be married.
society makes us feel that we are. yet i've turned down an offer, that is still outstanding probably, with an ex. it's not about being married, it's about sharing your life with the right person. if either party has sincere doubts, a 50% failure rate is too costly to consider. we'd never accept that in a business deal, but we do it every day for our hearts, hormones, or fears. whatever the reason is...

----------

so don't consider me anti-marriage from this post, let's just call it anti-divorce...

No comments: