January 28, 2008

underneath it all...

it's hard to be pretty in new england. the seasons defy you. and the commute. in the winter the rain attacks your hair, that is if you're not already wearing a hat. so you can't have a do that a hat can't go over. you can't wear cotton if you're like me & temperature sensitive. then there's the leggings that have to go under your sexy jeans. and the endless pairs of kneehigh socks (black).

you have your commuting & non-commuting shoes. a whole drawerful at work that you change into, and then can't wear on weekends. you keep makeup at work so you don't sweat it all off - even in the winter - in your 15-minute walk to and from the train. up-hill both ways.

you have your dancing dilemmas. do you freeze getting to the dancefloor, and look sexy on it, or be warm getting there & strip down to nothing to dance?

then there's the suits. your pant legs have to be long enough to cover your heels, but not too long to drag on the ground when you run to catch the bus in your flats. and your flats have to fit into your handbag - which, by the way, do you want as a backpack or not?

the endless discussion of form vs. function.

as example, i've still yet to find another perfect pair of black shoes that i can wear all over town and during a work presentation as well.

dressing becomes an art form in the northeast. how do you do all of the above & still either look or feel sexy?

i've stopped caring to some extent. i used to always want to wear cute hats & have everything match & fix my hair just so so that when i walked down the street i felt cute.

not anymore. not having picked up any guys that way (though i did attract a car full of lesbians once) i now save my cute stuff for under there. or underwear.

today i'm wearing my winter uniform: 100% NOT cotton turtleneck with cordoroy pants (can't wear wool, b/c yucky snow lying around will ruin it) with some great high-top tennis shoes that i bought at walmart like 15 years ago (kid you not) for $15. they're like hiking boots. they're my 4th pair of snow shoes, in addition to my regular rain shoes, wellington boots & then big warm clumpers.

that's over top (not speaking of boots now) of my victoria's secret not-especially-sexy t-shirt bra & some black hot chilis that are indoor/outdoor appropriate.

but under all that...i have on...

...bright purple toenail polish that nearly glows in the dark...and some bright orange VS thong underwear with a big flower in the front.

oh, and they're cotton. but dammit, i'm sexy. :)

that's new england for ya. and for me!

just goes to show ya -- (which you haven't seen & won't) -- that you can't judge a girl by her cover!

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

I lived in NYC and struggled with this same thing. There was enormous pressure to be up to the minute fashionable, but not freeze at the same time. It was a daily challenge for me and I hear you on the drawer full of shoes at work.

michelle said...

amen! i am in halifax, nova scotia and face the same issues ... winter is evil!!

~**Dawn**~ said...

I just wandered over here from Thirty-Something Bloggers. I was suffering a wee bit of homesickness (I moved from Connecticut almost six years ago after living there my whole life) and I think you just cured it for me! Winter in Florida means it might get down to 30 every so often, but there are never any slush puddles to step in!