November 05, 2008

free at last

my (single) friend in NY wrote this e-mail and sent it out to us. since i can have no conception of what this election must mean to a majority of the country - i will share his comments. it brings tears to my eyes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

My Friends,

This is not a political commentary, but I'd like all to know that I
have never been prouder to be an American than I am today- you can
guess the reason why!!!

I was out till 3am this morning walking in the streets of my
neighborhood watching people dance, play drums and stop traffic while
cars honked like crazy. I saw what looked like an Indian cab driver
get out of his vehicle and do a jig in the street while a collection
of ethnically diverse people danced along, this backed up traffic on
DeKalb Avenue for a couple of blocks, and no one got upset. I
witnessed a white cop complain about the proceedings and a black cop
tell him, "let them party, let them have their drinks in the streets,
let them enjoy the night!!!" And they did- the cops stood to the side
and watched as all were having a good time, including them!!!

My friends, beautiful women who didn't know me from Adam would look me
in the face with a smile as appealing as fresh baked apple pie and
wish me well as I walked by them. If I didn't have work in the morning
this would have been the night to hook-up and fall in love with a
complete stranger. The magic was in the air. There was so much love
and good feelings going around I found it hard to tear myself away to
go home and sleep.

I am so proud of my community in BK.

Best to all on this glorious day which God ordained…

Free at last-Free at last; thank God All Mighty I am free at last!!!!

No comments: